Historic site and monument

Megève Resort

The 'Société Française des Hôtels de Montagne' (French Mountain Hotels Company) was founded in 1919 to spearhead the creation of a new winter sports resort. They decided to build a vast hotel complex, entrusting the project to Parisian architect Paul Nénot (1853-1934).

Add to journal

History:
Thanks to considerable financial support, construction began very soon afterwards, which allowed the resort to open its doors for the 1919/1920 season. Noémie de Rothschild wanted to have a private residence built close to the pistes, and in 1925 Henry-Jacques Le Même, then a young architect, offered to build her a contemporary house that would be adapted to suit the skiers' way of life. She commissioned Henry-Jacques to build a 'chalet', which would have a significant impact on the success and appearance of the resort.

Architecture:
The architect's talent turned Noémie de Rothschild's project into the basis for a new way of thinking about mountain dwellings, which ultimately led to the creation of the 'ski chalet', a holiday home designed for skiing and relaxation. It would keep the large living space, gable roof, and stone and wood of the typical Megève farmhouse. But it would reinterpret this tradition in the spirit of modernity, through the use of new materials (concrete, corrugated iron), and the arrangement of the facades (stone foundations, concrete and breeze block rendering, large bay windows on the ground floor, wooden cladding, comfort and decor). In the wake of Noémie de Rothschild's chalet (7 bedrooms, tiled living room and dining room, central heating), many 'Le Même Chalets' would be built on the slopes of Mont d'Arbois as the resort continued to develop.

Opening periods

All year round, daily.