Historic site and monument

The chapels in the hamlets

Most of Megève's chapels were erected during the XV11 century, on the initiative of the clergy fighting the Reformation, incited by the need to establish a place of worship in each hamlet, and affirm the identity of each.

Add to journal

There are still a dozen chapels in Megève out of twenty that date back to before the Revolution.
Saint Ann's chapel: called the chapel of the penitents. It is situated near the church and was erected on the site of a very old chapel offered by J.B Perinet in 1734. It has recently been restored by the town councils of Megeve and Demi Quartier.
In the hamlets:
Ormaret: erected on April 8th, 1495. It is dedicated to Saint Felix and Saint Maurice.
Petit Bois: 1715 - The only one with a sculptured tympanum representing Saint Roch. Dedicated to Saint Sebastian, Saint François Xavier and Saint Symphorien.
Vauvray: Dedicated to Notre Dame of Angels and dating back to 1859.
Les Cretets: 1740 - Dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Les Choseaux: Dedicated to Saint Gervais and Saint Protais and then to Notre Dame des Ermites.
Les Pettoreaux: 1667, and renovated in 1931 - Dedicated to the Visitation and Saint Just.
Le Planellet: Dates back to 1664 - Dedicated to Notre Dame des Grâces and Saint Guérin.
Le Planay: 1639 - Dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul.
Le Maz: 1614 and rebuilt in 1772 - Dedicated to Saint Bartholomew and Saint Clair.
Le Villard: 8 June 1563 and restored in 1775. Dedicated to Saint Lawrence and Saint Nicolas.
Cassioz: 1406 - Dedicated to Saint Andrew and Sainte Barbe.
The former hospice, "Rue des Comptes de Capré" has a chapel, built around 1730 and dedicated to Notre Dame des Douleurs.

Opening periods

All year round, daily.

Services

  • Unguided individual tours